- This event has passed.
Editors Canada – 40th anniversary conference – Halifax, Nova Scotia
June 7 - June 9
How to Find and Work with the Right Mentor for You
A workshop presented by Dr. Virginia McGowan, The Business Mentoring Solution/McGowan & Co.: The Write Edit Group
Most freelance editors are solopreneurs, sole proprietors of a small editing business; as such, they have a mindset, aspirations and attitudes, and business practices that differ from other types of entrepreneurs. Yet, as with all small business owners, having a mentor is criticl for their success. This session is designed to help the solopreneur editor find and work with the right mentor to build a healthy, mutually-beneficial relationship.
By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Explain how, as a solopreneur, they have a different mindset and business practices than other types of entrepreneurs;
- Cite the statistics on how mentoring benefits small business owners;
- List the attributes of a healthy, mutually-beneficial mentoring relationship;
- Outline the key areas of a mentoring plan and what to evaluate;
- Close a mentorship respectfully.
General knowledge of the subject area is not relevant. Open to novice and mid-career editors.